logo
Garden of Shakespeare's Flowers
Return to map


The Garden of Shakespeare's Flowers, often miscalled the "Shakespeare Garden", was established by the California Spring Blossom and Wildflower Association in 1928. The garden was originally the idea of Alice Eastwood, a long-time director of botany for the Academy of Sciences. A stone bench honoring her can be found inside, near the back of the garden.

Just inside the entrance, set in the middle of a brick walkway, visitors will find a sundial. Further inside, about 50 feet toward the left, can be found a chart of the garden and a numbered identifier of twenty plants featured in the works of Shakespeare.

At the farthest end inside the garden, visitors will find a locked green box set into a brick wall. The box is flanked by six bronze panels. The box holds a bronze bust of William Shakespeare - one of only two in existence - that can be viewed with permission from the park office. The panels contain floral quotations, and were donated by various cultural groups.

Return to map

Last updated on February 18, 2004. Mail comments to: davidg@lightight.com
Photographs and Text Copyright ©2004, David Gardner. All Rights Reserved.